Sunday, February 3, 2013

After the Knitting is Done

The part of the knitting process that I do not like is that moment when I finish a project and realize that I have no idea of what to do next.  There is no UFO (unfinished object) lying around waiting for me to do something, no plans of what to knit next.  At that moment, I feel lost.

This is where I found myself recently.

I felt lost when I finished knitting a cardigan.  I was proud that it had appropriate length arms (see my post Make a Gauge Swatch!)

The pattern I used was the Woman's Cardigan under the Family Cables section in Deborah Newton's Cable Collection.  
I used some ribbing to replace the strips.

While the pattern called for two colors, I decided on one color.


The only place this made a different was in the cuff.  The cuff in the pattern is striped and in stockinette stitch.  In one color, it would make a very boring cuff I thought.  So I added a rib to give it a little excitement.

Actually, it was more of knit one row, purl one row, knit three rows, purl one row.




This is the front of the cardigan.  No buttons yet!
For me, I find the cardigan to be on the short side.   Maybe it's my age, but I prefer some length, something the hits me closer to my hips than my waist.  Which is where this one hits me.

This might be suitable for my teenage niece.  Then again, it might not be cool enough for the modern teenager.




Anyway, I was lost and wondering what to do next.  

I toyed briefly with the idea of creating my own stitch dictionary.  Then I realized that I have access to many fine ones in my own collection and at the public library.

So I returned to a cast on technique that has gotten the better of me.  This time, though, was different.  Success!  I may have mastered Judy's Magic Cast On.

Yes, I say may.  I am hoping that I have conquered it enough to attempt my first pair of toe up socks.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment