Monday, July 28, 2014

Just a quick update

IsDihara, you asked for a look at the progress on my doily so here it is along with some other stuff I've been tatting.  Please keep in mind that I have not block any of these items.
Progress on the doily has stopped.  There is another
 round in the pattern but I like it this way.
I like to tat butterflies.
Can you find the one with the mistake?
I won a bunch of tatting goodies on Yarnplayer's blog.
The earrings are done in her thread Stardate (love the name!).
The beads and earring wires are mine from some previous project.
Also included in the goodies were some flowery squares and circles like the one shown above.
This was an experiment at tatting without a pattern.  Not bad, I think.

You know I love books so I ordered two books on tatting.
One is New Tatting by Tomoko Morimoto and that is
where the square motif can be found.

I am a baby tatter, a novice yet and have miles to go and more things to learn and perfect.  Weaving in the final end is something I must work on.  Maybe that's why I like to tat butterflies - no weaving in of ends!

I have found that tatting takes a different mind set than knitting.  With knitting, I can sit down and knit and feel a calmness, a certain serenity come over me as I do stitch after stitch.  With tatting, I have to center myself before picking up my shuttles.  And I can't marathon tat like I can marathon knit.  I find I must put the tatting aside because I lost my emotional center, or just get tired of flipping the stitch.

So someday I may finish that doily.  I may not as I like as it is now.

That's the great thing about making things.  I get to decide when they are finished.

What do you like about your chosen crafts?

2 comments:

  1. I suspect that one day you will find that tatting can be like knitting. I find tatting to be most relaxing and love "doing the flip". Of course I've been at it for 36 years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, I suspect you are right. As with all things, it just takes some practice to earn the proficiency I want. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete