Friday, June 27, 2014

A New Craft. Seriously.

My string/thread craft repertoire is expanding.

Several years ago I bought My First Tatting Kit in Colonial Williamsburg.  My first attempt wth it was a fail, so I put it on the shelf.
Acually, this particular butterfly was made
 with the thread my friend Karen gave me.

A year later, I gave it another try with the same result.

About this time, I remember someone saying that the definition of stupidity is repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome each time.

Fortunately, on my third attempt, perhaps a year later, I "got it."  I finally understand what the instructions said and how to make the thread work.

I made the double stitch and some picots, a closed ring, and I thought, "gee, now I can tat."
Right now, all the tatting stuff fits in this one bag.
You know that I will get more and quickly
outgrow the one bag!

Anyway, I managed to do a simple butterfly and used it to decorate my cell phone.  I sent one to a friend who has much more tatting experience than me.
The left is an abandoned attempt at a doily.
On the right, and still attached to the shuttles,
is the doily in progress.  I've made it a bit
farther than my first attempt.

I thought she might tell me, oh that's nice, or something like that.  Instead, Karen gave me a tote bag with some real tatting tools.  Real tatting thread which made the cotton crochet thread I was using feel like cheap acrylic compared to hand spun wool.

Oh what a joy!

Suddenly, I have a new addiction, a new version of crack.  I want more tatting thread, more shuttles!  And wouldn't you know it, I don't know it all yet.  I can't stand that!

I know I am still a novice tatter, a baby when it comes to it.  Large motifs scare me.

But I know that with practice I can master the techniques and create something nice.  Just as I learned with my knitting to make socks, I will do the same with tatting.  I doubt if I'll tat socks. (Notice that statement does not take it completely off the table.  I am crazy enough to at least contemplate the tatting of socks.)

Be sure to check out my friend Karen's blog Ambitatterous.  There's a link to it on the right.

7 comments:

  1. great job! Karen is a sweetie for sending you all those tatting goodies! Happy tatting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, linb54. I am blessed with generous and crafty friends.

      Delete
  2. Marloyarn, you are a winner in my Yarnplayer's Tatting blog Random Act of Kindness Giveaway! Please email me at yarnplayer (at) yahoo.com (replace (at) with @, no spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo!

    Marilee, thank you stopping by to tell me. I have sent you an email as you said. I am sure this will push me farther down the tatting road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finally getting 'the flip'! It looks like you have made a wonderful start as your tatting looks very good. Lucky you to be the recipient of all those goodies from Karen! I came over from Ambitatterous where she showed us those fantastic socks you made her. I think you could make socks in tatting but that they would take a very long time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, tattridy! It wasn't until I got the goodies from Karen that my tatting obsession bloomed. I think that tatted socks would be uncomfortable and not have the needed stretch. But I think I might trim socks with tatting!

      Delete
  5. Just remember, threads, like yarns, made from natural fibers need to breath. Don't store for long periods of time in plastic bags. The fibers will rot. Also don't store in places where strong sunlight will fade the colors or excessive temperature changes (and plastic) will encourage moisture, mold or vermin-y demises for your precious threads. But you most likely know all this already. Just a reminder that threads are like yarns.

    Can we see an update on your small doily? It looks so good already.

    ReplyDelete